Outlined below is a brief history, features and specifications of the Ford Bronco II.
The Bronco II was designed along side the Ford Ranger and used the same platform featuring a 94 in wheelbase. The Bronco 2 is the little brother or the re-imagining of the Full Sized Bronco which was originally a compact SUV. The Bronco II was intended to capitalize on the popularity of the core Bronco and a growing compact SUV market populated with competitors of the time such as the Suzuki Samurai, Dodge Raider and Jeep Wrangler YJ.
Like some of the Bronco II’s other competitors though, the lifespan was short only running 7 model years from 1983 to 1990. The Bronco II was replaced by the Ford Explorer which shared many features with both the Bronco 2 and the Ranger. It should be noted that both the Bronco 2 and the Ranger underwent a slight design change and performance upgrade in 1988 which also changed the vehicle dimensions.
The Bronco II safety and rollover risk was initially brought into question be consumer groups and later the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Although the Bronco II had over five times the rollover deaths than that of the Suzuki Samurai, the rate was shown to be consistent with that of other SUVs. Despite this there was a famous case of world renown jockey Bill Shoemaker who was paralyzed after a Bronco II rollover. Ford Motor Company chose to settle with Shoemaker for $1 million.
Bronco II Features
- Model Years: 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990
- Assembly: Louisville, Kentucky
- Class: Compact SUV
- Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive / Four Wheel Drive
- Related: Ford Ranger
- Successor: Ford Explorer
Bronco II Specifications
- 2.8 L Cologne V-6
- 2.9 L Cologne V-6
- 2.3 L Mitsubishi 4D55T turbodiesel I4
- 4-speed Mazda TK4
- 5-speed Mazda TK5
- 5-speed Mazda M5OD-R1
- 5-speed Mitsubishi FM145
- 5-speed Mitsubishi FM146
- 3-speed C5
- 4-speed A4LD
- Wheelbase: 94.0 in
- Length: 158.3 in (83-88) / 161.9 in (89-90)
- Width: 68.0 in
- Height: 68.2 in (83-88) / 69.9 in (89-90)
Bronco 2 MPG
- 4 Cyl (2.3 L) w/ 5 Speed Manual – 23 City / 27 Hwy (24 Combined)
- 6 Cyl (2.8 L) w/ 4 Speed Auto – 14 City / 19 Hwy (16 Combined)
- 6 Cyl (2.8 L) w/ 5 Speed Manual – 15 City / 20 Hwy (17 Combined)
- 6 Cyl (2.9 L) w/ 4 Speed Auto – 14 City / 20 Hwy (17 Combined)
- 6 Cyl (2.9 L) w/ 5 Speed Manual – 15 City / 20 Hwy (17 Combined)
Anything else to add? Let us know in the comments section below…